The Planning Division is seeking a positive, transformational leader to guide the City’s land use planning team into the future. This important role sets the tone for countless decisions and interactions that affect how Eugene will look and function for decades to come. As part of the Planning Division Leadership Team, the Principal Planner supervises the land use planning section and helps steer an exciting slate of work for a talented group of professionals that love Eugene. The role also includes working closely with the Planning Commission to help navigate a wide variety of interesting and challenging land use review and special projects. A successful candidate for this role will have deep knowledge of land use planning and practice in Oregon, outstanding communication skills, and a firm commitment to growing leaders and continually evolving our systems to work better for everyone.
Special Knowledge and Skills:
• Effectively organize, lead and inspire professional planning staff to develop and implement a complex work program
• Build trust and grow supportive, durable working partnerships with diverse people and organizations
• Listen deeply and communicate clearly and confidently in a variety of challenging professional and public situations
• Understand and ensure compliance with a wide range of current, land-use related City, State, and Federal laws, regulations and plans, with special emphasis on land use review, policy development, and code administration
• Apply a working knowledge of related fields such as land development, transportation planning, urban design, engineering, and community development
• Solve complex regulatory and relational problems with creative, appropriate solutions in the best interest of everyone involved
• Effectively engage the public using current best practices and innovations
• Prepare and analyze effective technical and administrative reports, statements and correspondence
• Manage program and project-related contracts, cost estimates and budgets
• Supervise, train and evaluate staff
• Six years of increasingly responsible experience in professional urban planning, including some experience in preparation and review of planning documents and land use applications
• Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in urban and regional planning, architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, or a closely related field. A master’s degree in a related field is desirable.
Note that any combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge and abilities may be acceptable. The qualifications listed above are one example of a typical way to obtain the knowledge and skills expected for the job.
We are currently accepting online applications only. Please visit the City’s website at http://www.eugene-or.gov/jobs to apply for the Principal Planner position.